24 June 2010

Nail Varnish Competition - Winners!


Drum roll please...

The winners of the competition have been announced and we are so excited that these are now in production, with an early October launch date currently planned... although the winners will receive their shades in August - it's only fair they get theirs before everyone else!

Before I begin talking about the winners [and why they won] I want to personally thank everyone who has entered - and there were over 6,000 and I was thrilled with how people to took the brief of Create Your Dream Nail Varnish and really thought outside the box in terms of what their ultimate lacquer would look like.

We were originally going to have two winners, but we couldn't decide on just two, so we went for three!

Here they are...


Raindrops - by Ann Black

The inspiration was a photograph of pouring rain and how it settles in to drops on the window - we liked that it was a first hand image from Ann. Read her full idea here on her blog.

The consistency of the varnish is quite sheer, but very buildable and has they wonderful flecks in, a variety of silver, white and darker grey that actually look like raindrops on nails. This varnish was considered so unique and desirable that the nail artist on our Autumn Winter shoot used it on almost every model!



Eclipse - by Dami Lawal

The thing that, to me, was most beautiful about this was the rich purple/grey/blue/black colour that the image conjured up. We felt that this colour was missing from the current colour collection at Illamasqua and yet everyone at HQ started getting very excited when the first samples landed - it was always going to be a winner. There were several colours that came back from our supplier's interpretation of the image and many of them were beautiful; it was extremely difficult to chose but the final colour is a real black/blue/purple colour with a hint of shimmer.


Shrapnel - by Loren Perry

The entry submitted by Loren told us that she was looking for a copper that leaned pink - something she had had real difficulty finding. Her image below is of a pair of unbelivably desirable Lanvin brogues, although she also described a copper coin, so it gave us plenty of ideas in how we could translate that in to a Nail Varnish. We asked our supplier to show us satin finishes, high-gloss finishes and sparkling finishes. We ended up going for a mixture of all three and trust me - this is a really unique finish...

19 comments:

  1. Ah I didn't win, bummerrr!
    The winner nailpolishes look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to the winners! Love the nail varnish colours.
    Kelly

    Don't forget to enter my little giveaway everyone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - these colors are amazing! Can't wait to get my hands on them in October!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to the winners, what fantastic colours!
    I'm simply going to have to get all 3 of them.
    Oh well!
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely going to get Eclipse and maybe Raindrops. AWESOME colors!congrats to the winners!
    p.s. I hope there's going to be another contest soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow i love the raindrops one, i want!! gorgeous great winners xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want them all -roll on October!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These all look amazing and I cannot wait to try them all out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to the winners! These are all beautiful, and I am definitely going to spring for international shipping on these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to all!!! my entry made the shortlist, maybe next time...the colours are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to the winners; those are all fantastic colors! Mine made the shortlist, too. Any chance we might get to see it? I'd love to see some of the other great entries!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're all nice colours, but nothing different. I was expecting something truly original. Very disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I didn't expect to make it into the final 50, so it is thrilling that it happened. But I am not sure how to use my discount code, since you only sell in British currency... I am in the States. Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Andrea, I agree. Part of me thinks they were chosen because they look "fallish" but that wasn't really stressed in the competition rules - unless I overlooked it.

    Yes, I'm sorry I didn't win - only because I've been searching for my color for eons now and haven't been able to find it. I'll have to go back to mixing colors.

    If anyone's curious as to what my entry was...

    http://miaverse.com/beauty/illamasqua-nail-varnish

    ReplyDelete
  18. I too made the top 50, and thank you for the discount code. I'm with Heather...any chance we get to read the other 49 entries??

    thank you!
    Nancy
    @NanRx2 on twitter

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!